Sunday, April 1, 2007

A New Journal

I have decided to create this diary to document the various happenings of Steelhead, Caledon, Tombstone, and those other places I might travel between, both as a means of correspondence with friends out-of-touch, and as a chronicle of new-found discoveries and significant events. My travels take me away from many acquaintances for extended periods, and to relate all the wonders I discover and experience within the course of a conversation is difficult, and lacks efficiency, however pleasurable the company I keep, and however much I wish to share this information, so let these letters serve that tool to those interested. Also, as events evolve throughout these various lands, it is prudent to keep some sort of history; some reference that may be consulted by our descendants, as true records of events which may have shaped their destiny.

With this in mind, let me begin by an introduction of myself, Mr Gnarlihotep Abel. I was born the son of Robert Abel, a former attache' to the British Embassy in Washington, and Miss Constance Ford, of the Boston Fords. My Grandfather, Col. Jonathan Abel, served in the War with Napoleon in Egypt, and there wed an enticing Egyptian Noblewoman. She inspired, in my parents, the choice of my name- for Gnarlihotep was a male name that had long run in her family.

Born a citizen of this republic, after education here I lit west to follow the expanding frontier, though I retain a fondness for the homeland of my heritage, Caledon. In the year of 1854 I journeied to the town of Sigil, Arizona en route to the gold fields of California. Hearing dire news that they were played out, I struck north and settled in the Frontier town of Steelhead, Oregon Territory, where I dwell now.

In Steelhead, I met and was graced with the companionship with Miss Christine McAllister, who has remained a close friend even as her suit has been pledged to another. In the particular fashion of the frontier, the unthought-of-elsewhere cohabitation of our manor, Rosehaven, continues; due both to our friendliness for each other and the housing shortage which plagues many frontier towns.

My daily life is taken up in the pursuit of travel, fashion, riding, calling on neighbors, design, and military training. I have some skill at the art of war, have ridden for many years, and endeavor to serve my Town and Nation where needed. Exploration is my first love, the discovery of exotic locales, the observation of customs, beautiful architecture, and vista natural.

Let this serve as an introduction, and know that I am happy to correspondent with any who care to comment, or wish to offer sage advice.

5 comments:

Qlippothic said...

Welcome to the aethersphere, Mr. Abel! You have been expeditiously added to my list of Trusted Correspondence!

~Qli

Edward Pearse said...

An excellent introduction Mr. Abel. I look forward to reading more as they appear.

Kira said...

Well read... I look forward to seeing more of your adventures, Mr. Abel!

Christine McAllister Pearse said...

How lovely to see you've joined the blogging masses my dear Mr. Abel, and thank you for those kind words. I look forward to reading of your adventures.

Eva Bellambi said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere, Mr Abel. I look forward to reading of your adventures.