Thursday, April 12, 2007

Ahh, Venice!

Three more days windless, adrift, finds me in deep contemplation, desperate for distraction. My water is turning brackish, the food dwindling. Now stocking the "Passed" water just in case. Hopefully wind will return soon, or my drift will lead me to a verdant isle.



Will I make the Steelhead Saturday ball at this pace? I do hope so, as I look forward to the dancing, and companionship after these days alone. My correspondence has been run through a dozen times, I'm eager for the news of a possible commission in Caledon and to continue correspondence on the decoration of a new house for Miss Kelly, a charming ward of the Bardhaven estate.



To combat boredom or the more dangerous effects of solitude, I unearth my stereoscope from my baggage and relive some fond memories. The stereoscope plates comfort me with revisits to far off locales, and adventurous, more social days.



A trip to Venice in the height of the season.. Ahhh, Venice. Her canals of silver and stately forests of stone placidly reflected below :) I remember as if it were yesterday...



The plates draw me back to that day in their magical way...





I recall the great plaza, surrounded by the doge's palace, the tower and other public buildings of great antiquity. The pigeons amass there in troops in St Marks, gathering in small threatening clouds, as it were. Luckily, my wardrobe sustained no damage from them, unlike my recent Parrott Isl. adventure.



A small fair off to the side, a carousel beckons, the sweet and savory aromas of the food vendor's wares waft on the breeze..



The lovely gardens entice me, the exotic pungency of the fragrant herbs fill the air, and the flora fills my eyes, the colors vivid and alive..



I spy a gondola, and am offered a tour by an operator who assures speed and discretion, if wished.. I choose the languid, complete tour, watching as the storefronts pass by...




Through the canals we wend, this way and that, music on the breeze and a new sight at each corner...



..To end at a spectacular fountain amidst a lush lawn. What a lovely tour, I am happily distracted ...Ahhh, Venice !

4 comments:

Kira said...

It certainly sounds lovely! I hope you get a chance to return to its beauty soon!

Eva Bellambi said...

What a beautiful account of your times - however long ago - in Venice. Makes me want to pack my bags and catch the next steamer myself. *sigh*

Fair winds and following seas, my friend. May you make it home to us soon.

Christine McAllister Pearse said...

What a lovely post Mr. Abel! Perhaps someday soon I will be able to visit Venice and see such sites for myself. However, until that time, your post was as good as being there in person.

Gnarlihotep Abel said...

How fortunate I am to receive such kind comments from three of Caledon's lovliest! Bless your fiery tresses, each :)