Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Navigating Parrot Island

After two days at sea I neared the cay of Parrot Island, famous for it natural pools. There are sand bars outlying, and it called for careful navigation to bring the SS Bad Diplomat to a safe harbor.



Soon the extict volcanic island loomed ahead. The heat below warms the natural pools found at it's base and an extinct crater pool at it's top.



As I neared the Island, I heard the call of it's native parrots, and inspired by tales of sailors before me, became determined to have one as pet. Once the vessel was securely anchored, I went ashore, secured freshwater and breadfruit, and ventured further inland.


Soon I discovered a lovely parrot resting near a glimmering warm pool, fed by azure waterfalls. I enticed the bird with mealy hardtack, and calmed its nerves with a small rum ration.



I hoisted my new companion to my shoulder and thought I cut quite the piratical romantic figure. The bird did not seem to share my opinion, and unfortunately expressed its displeasure by ruining my fine brown suit with its rum and hardtack-fueled excrement.



Sometime later, having changed my garb, I had a bounteous meal of what I now call south-sea chicken, or Fricaseed Long Parakeet.



Despite the affect to my apparel, Parrot Island offered a truly pleasant diversion. Relative privacy and warm pools await those who seek Recreation here. Surveying the lovely Islands, I plotted my course for my next destination, the islands of Hawaii.

3 comments:

Kira said...

Oh goodness!! I never knew parrots made for good eating-- I thought the feathers would make swallowing quite the effort. You learn something new every day!

Gnarlihotep Abel said...

I do have some cat-like tastes..

Kira said...

I shall keep this in mind.... I have heard that you are an excellent cook, so perhaps I can persuade you to share your recipes with me some day.