Thursday, April 5, 2007

Magnificent Waves at Moana Ina Beach

After two days journey more I arrived at Weather Island, in the Hawaiis, to a sweltering day. Going savage this once, I matched the immodesty of the natives by baring a bit more than I would in more civilized climes. Finding a placid harbor for the SS Bad Diplomat, I scaled the nearby hilltop to survey the surf.



And what a surf it was! A marvel of nature, the waves rise higher here than I had ever seen. In need of supplies, I took the ships boat ashore and loaded my stores.



Fighting the surf back through these waves was near impossible. My skiff heaved again and again, thrust back by the tall surf.



Soon I tired of battling these waves and was even denied a passage around them, being tossed about as flotsam, and thrust to the shore.



I abandoned my damaged ship's boat, and pondered how I would return. Luckily I happened upon some natives, who, though they chuckled at my plight, offered a solution-


The natives had boards fashioned of sturdy but light trees, brightly painted, which they suggested I float out on, assuring the raft would float me to safety. They led the way with my provisions and I followed soon after.



As a wave caught me, I emulated the natives and clamored up to avoid it, as the guides had done. To my exquisite delight, as the water churned around me, the board did bouy me to safety, carrying me forward, and to a new bliss as I seemed to glide through the air. Truly a wonderful experience, a memory to be savored!



Reaching my vessel safely, my stores recovered and stowed, I set course for the port of San Francisco.

2 comments:

Kira said...

What wondrous things these boards seem to be! I do hope you'll bring one such thing back to Caledon, for future study.

Qlippothic said...

My word! Such tasty waves off the Primverness coast I should say! Hang five, old bean!