Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Village Green Perversation Society

Such a long journey! I tired as I neared Caledon, and, as I approached from the south, decided to fortify myself at the Loch Avie Public House. I had forgotten how lovely the Caledon sunrise is!



I raised a glass to the absent hostess and pondered what I would find in Victoria City; if all was intact, or if the damage of recent attack I had read of in the local notices would include the fine properties of my close friends.



Resting in the public house, I nursed a fine Single Malt as I warmed myself for the rest of the morning ride. A local militia man, a Mr. Churchill came in and chatted, but refused a drink, hard at hunt for the now notorius Mr. Hotspur. Soon after he left I made my way out too.




I bade the charming glens and rises of Loch Avie adieu as I turned North, to Victoria City.




As I travelled the roads of Victoria City, I noted little damage, save for some rubble and blast marks. I saw no casualties, no guard and marvelled that the streets were so empty, even at this early hour. I wondered if an evacuation had been ordered, but saw no notice of one; nor did I detect any sounds of a current battle from afar.




I turned North to the Stronghold of Bardhaven, expecting it to be invested or otherwise watched, as he is under some suspicion in these incidents; but his manse was whole and unguarded. I looked in vain for Miss Kelley, who, being often unruly, is oft found running about at this hour, but saw no sign. The smell of maple syrup came across the breeze, as Caledon awoke to the massive breakfasts common in these isles. One more stop...



Davaar was whole and safe from harm. I thought it too early yet to call upon Sir Edward or Miss Christine, to console for his wounds, or congratulate for the happy news of their engagement (which I had learned of through the notices in the public house), leaving this for later.



In all, Caledon seems intact, and with the Kaisarain escaped, there seemed hope for peace; but can Caledon forgive such an attack on it's own soil? I think it unlikely. I have decided to return to my ancestral home here, Abeldown, to be ready to be serve where I might. My luggage will follow after, but I'm off to Kittywickshire to get the old Manor in order.

4 comments:

Kira said...

Welcome home!! I'm so sorry we missed you-- Had I known you were about I would've have made a special plate of pancakes and sausage for you!!

Christine McAllister Pearse said...

Welcome back Mr. Abel! It's is a great burden off my mind to know you are back "in the land of the living" so to speak. I wish you success with restoring your old manor> :-)

Gnarlihotep Abel said...

Thank you both for your kind welcome!

Eva Bellambi said...

I am devastated that I was out calling on others when you arrived in the Loch, my friend; however, I am so pleased that you took time to enjoy my little pub and some Uisge Beatha.
Welcome home! And the gods be praised that you appear so well and are safe and sound.